A Conversation

This is the conversation between and Old Man and a Young Man who are travelling in a train. 

Old Man 

Hey son, what are you doing on your mobile phone?

Young Man

I am playing an interesting game. I usually play games to pass my time and have fun. 

Old Man

Can you tell me what that game is about? You seem very happy playing it.

Young Man

It is a game where you survive throughout the game by killing other players. This game requires a lot of strategy and I guess you old people will not get how much fun these games can be. 

Old Man

Why do you people enjoy these kind of games? There will be too much bloodshed in them, right? Doesn't the thought of killing others scare you people?

Young Man 

Chill, Mr. Old Man, these kind of activities are so much fun and are trending these days. Do you even know how much money the company which developed make? You have no idea mate. Certainly an employee working in that company will make more money than all your savings combined in your lifetime. 

Old Man 

Don't you believe in peace and why has this killing stuff so amusing to you. I guess all the media these days have spoiled you. I don't get this fast world of yours. 

Young Man

I bet you will never know how much pleasure it is to kill someone as to save someone else. Your generation people aren't that macho enough to do stuff or think of stuff like this, all you guys need is a book and peace blabbering. 
Why don't you do one thing, explain how reading books will make you a better human and what were the principles you guys followed in your era anyway?

Old Man 

Listen son, reading is not just a thing. It is a skill and you have to cultivate it. Reading is not that boring if you start reading. You people never even experience the hardships we used to face in our olden days and yet you complain all the trivial stuff. We used to study in the pitch dark with a small source of light. We used to live together as a joint family unlike the nuclear family of your generation. We used to support each other during hard times and most importantly we used to earn for the whole family and used to make a lot of effort to make ends meet. Yet you people complain only to feed yourself and the close people you associate with. I lost my father in my young age and my mother brought us up by working as a contract labor. I have seven siblings and we used to help each other out to graduate each other and land a decent job to feed our large family. We used to live away in the far off land only to visit our family once or twice a year. Such was the life we led. 

Young Man 

The problems are not only for us sir, I think you people faced a lot of problem too. We people live in the age of internet and still get confused. Our parents give us full freedom and we have a whole set of friends from different backgrounds and yet we don't understand the world like you people do. The thing I said about this killing stuff which I play only to relieve my frustration. I hate the thought of doing such things. I only play them for some entertainment sir. 

Old Man

I get it son and I shouldn't have lectured on reading thing too. Well, in this fast paced world who has the time to read anyway? So I guess we both learned something from each other and I should thank you son as you have given me a new perspective of this modern world. 

Young Man 

I should also thank you sir for telling me how olden days used to be. Now I know why my family insists me on doing somethings. Now I know why they think that way. 

Old Man

I guess this is it son. Listen, my station is approaching and I need to get down here. Thanks for having this insightful conversation with me son. 

Young Man

Sir, before you deboard can I ask you a question? What did you do for a living in your time? and what do you do now?

Old Man

Well son, I used to work in Indian Army before I got severely injured in the Kargil War. I retired soon after and now I teach children Social Studies and write poetry in my free time. I wish you all the best son for your career. Hope you lead a best life. 

Young Man

Sorry for mistaking you for a person who don't know the value of saving lives. I guess we are all leading a peaceful life here because you people used to word hard in extreme climates to save our country. Salute sir. 

Old Man

God bless you my son. 


Hence, in the end both this Old Man and Young Man gain some perspective into each other's life and the contrast between their worlds.

Post Script 

The idea and context behind this blog post is given to me by my cousin who explained the difference between a context and an opinion to me in a clear manner. 

Popular posts from this blog

Short History of Indian Railways

Attend two Zoom meetings on one device.

Minimalism Explained